home                   about me                 contact

Saturday, June 9, 2012





On one of my last nights in Munich, I decided to spend the evening walking around the city to enjoy some of the things I loved about it. This happened to occur after eating a decent Italian meal, which I later shunned myself for since I figured I ought to eat as much German food as possible while actually in Germany. Either way, it was good. And it also lead me to trying gelato for the first time, which marked the kickoff of a new addiction.

Afterwards, my friends and I took one last stroll through the main street to revisit some things:

The door handles on one of the old churches, which are made to look like angels

The church that "the devil stomped on," with the fountain behind it

The boar statue, which was recently handicapped due to a broken leg somehow




The small figurines which surround a central commemorative column in the middle of Marienplatz. Each fights off a demon of sorts meant to symbolize the city overcoming a number of obstacles in order to prosper.

While we were making our way through the street, we encountered a number of other things that made the rest of the city seem alive: street performers, restaurant-goers, other tourists. It was a completely different side of the city, and even some of the buildings I had passed by a dozen times before crept up on me as unfamiliar While we walked by. All of the awnings on the souvenir shops and restaurants retract nightly as well, so things literally transformed.

As my friends and I were taking a typical tourist photo with a fish statue near the handicapped boar, a woman with a really nice D-SLR came by and explained she was a professional photographer interested in taking a few photos to help build her portfolio. We took caution and decided to help her, so she asked us  to stand next to a nearby watch store that had been closed for the night. I'd have never guessed the lighting from the window would look turn out so nice! I was truly impressed when she shared the photos with us:



It was definitely an unexpected and fun end to our nighttime excursion! 

Before I kick off my next few posts about Vienna, I'd also like to share a few of the random photos that managed to slip into my Munich photographs somewhere in between the five days I was there:

Here's a car parked on the sidewalk off the street where my hostel was located. This is a completely common occurrence in Europe, a fact I learned quickly enough after a few cars drove straight up onto the sidewalk either in front of, behind, or next to me while I was walking. European drivers are crazy!

This is my first experience with a German ATM (Geldautomat). Thank goodness for the English option!

There are quite a few bakery shops, and I've passed a couple that get really creative. This store was selling cakes in the shape of bugs, the only kind I'd ever eat!




And of course, as a necessary part of the parting process, I snapped a couple shots of our room which served as my home away from home for the few days I had the pleasure to be a part of Munich. Next post I'll be updating about Vienna, Austria: one of my most anticipated cities during my trip!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...