home                   about me                 contact

Tuesday, May 22, 2012



As it turns out, a short shopping trip in a small town grocery store can prove to be quite informing and interesting to the foreign traveler. My dad and I visited a local grocery store somewhere en route between Munich and Frankfurt, and I found myself stumbling upon a lot of items I'd never expect to see or even exist. Here are a few of my favorite finds!

One of my first new words I learned in German was strawberry (erdbeer) and now I see it everywhere! There was a cute little stand selling erdbeeren outside of the grocery shop, and they looked so delicious!

Chocolate rice! Who would have that these two ingredients would ever go together, ever.

It's true, there's really nutella everywhere..I have it nearly daily for breakfast! They come in all sizes from small ketchup like packets to larger glass containers full of nutella.

There's an "American" section in the grocery store! Only a handful of these things I actually recognize, although some of the products are familiar but have peculiar brand names.

 Both Fanta and Lift are popular fruit drinks here. They're basically like carbonated orange juice and apple juice.

Mini kegs are sold in the grocery store..only in Germany.

I was surprised to fin "American Sauce," which seemed to be some sort of yellow sauce with mystery green spices floating in it. My best guess is tartar sauce, but even that is a bit of a stretch.

Stumbled across some bright pink fruit with unruly green leaves attached to it, I have no idea how you'd even begin to eat it though!

Also sold at the store were a variety of flower bulbs and food seeds..right alongside bird grass or bird nip or whatever this package happens to contain!

We found these juice boxes at a supermarket in the haptbahnhof. They're cola flavored with lemon, in a "capri-sonne" juice box, which seems completely strange to me!

"Flippies!" I'm pretty sure they're our version of cheetos.

Another thing I've recently come across is spargel, which is extremely popular and considered somewhat of a specialty in Germany. It's essentially white asparagus, and tastes a lot like that or either celery, and I've seen it at least a half a dozen times since I've been here!

 It's been all together intriguing to see what kind of foods are unique to the area, and conversely what tends to mirror and replicate the foods I'm accustomed to in the US. I was definitely surprised on both accounts, and will be on the lookout for more interesting things to photograph and try (:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...